02 October, 2020

Ink for October 2nd, 2020

I take back what I said about Super Mario 3D All-Stars, even if I think having some extra content to showcase the history of the games would sweeten the deal*. Galaxy is just as incredible on the Switch as it was on the Wii—if not better. I haven't played enough through Super Mario 64 yet, but I feel like it will be as good as I remember it. 

Sunshine on the other hand, is a mixed bag. The idea behind the multi-purpose watering device (FLUDD) is really cool in terms of game design, allowing Professor E. Gadd to sneak his way into the Mario canon. The music that plays in Delfino Plaza is a beautiful thing, inspiring quite a few covers like this one from the Game Brass and this other one from BGO. For the most part, the locales look really nice. 

There are three things that dim the rays a bit:

  1. The sections where FLUDD gets taken away, leaving Mario to make his way across moving platforms and sand cubes to claim his prize. I remember getting angry at the game when I was 12 because these segments were really difficult. It's kind of a shame because there's a nice, a cappella version of the Super Mario Brothers theme that plays as you navigate through it.
  2. The musical score. Some of the tunes, like Delfino Plaza and what I just mentioned, are incredible gems. Some are just "meh". The there are some that, I believe, are a major miss, like...
  3. The roller coaster ride and what ensues the first time you arrive at the amusement park. Apologies in advance for the spoiler, but the what you end up doing ends up being a janky and frustrating affair. The song that plays here does not help.
I don't think there is much I can react to personally, regarding the 45th testing positive for the Coronavirus. It was more or less inevitable considering his blatant disregard for safeguards. In some way, it's karma. Even so, I'm with Sarah Haider on this one...


Tomorrow, as is tradition for Saturday, is laundry day. I want to see if I can sneak an entry earlier—as in, a few hours after I get off work as opposed to right before bed.       

*Aside from the inclusion of Galaxy 2

No comments:

Post a Comment