04 October, 2020

Ink for October 3rd & October 4th, 2020

Apologies for missing yesterday. Didn't get a chance to write during laundry and when I usually would write one of these, I felt like going to sleep. Sunday mornings are my early days at work so it was for the best.

I've done something like this before. That too, was an attempt at me trying to get back into blogging. I failed at consistency though.

Might keep this one brief too.

I'm a little sad that I missed Pocket Vinyl's listening party for "Winter Person" yesterday. They funded the album via Kickstarter in July and the money from that would also go towards a vinyl release along with a book to accompany the album.  I was once co-workers with the brother of Pocket Vinyl's artist and found her Facebook fan page through him. (This was around 2011-2012 when I was still in college so Facebook was a necessity.) I remember that she had a blog where she talked about her art and her time touring before the Touring Test comic. I'm not sure if it's still online. I'll need to check my old .opml files to see if I was still subscribed when I started exporting them.

On that note, Winds no longer seems to function and I'm not the only one to notice. I started using it after Jane Friedman recommended it in her e-newsletter, especially since they had a dedicated section for podcasts. The other thing I liked about Winds was how it did not display how many unread articles there were in a single RSS feed. It did not make you feel like you had to read all of them and felt more like opening up a news website where you read particular stories. Some of feeds that were automatically in the Winds reader were actually solid since they allowed you select to specific interests to tailor feeds you would like. In my case Hackernoon was one of them.

What's happening with my instance of Winds is the same as the Github issues I linked. Started out with either the podcast or RSS feeds disappearing from my homepage. I click the section with the issue, feeds show up, but then any feed takes forever to load. Literally. So I sign out of my session on my laptop and try to log back in. Doesn't load. I may try again from the website. Might end up heading back to Feedly or a similar RSS alternative. 

I know this entry sounds a bit sad, but the former part was more or less me going, "Ack! I can't believe I forgot about it!" I have no doubt that the album is going to be awesome. I'm going to sign off by sharing a music video from them that started it all. One that I shared on Twitter a couple years ago...

If you ever get the opportunity when you're in the States, go to one of their shows. One of my favorite moments from last year was going to see them play at the Hygienic Art building. We were just outside the gates with the evening traffic moving behind us and there was a good crowd. I thought it was an amazing show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment